Saturday, June 30, 2012

Eating and nutrition for David

It's been a rough road this last few years. David is a very picky eater, eating mostly white or brown foods...which equals tons of carbs. You weren't able to tell before, but since the Enhansa worked so well, he's put on the weight.

Dr was concerned about him getting more protein, and preferably not soy. She was going to send me some samples to try and the manufacturer didn't have any. So, I ventured out on my own to try and get him more protein.

I tried Silk's Fruit & Protein, which David loved...downside to that was TOO MUCH SUGAR, 22 grams to be exact...oops! When you are treating yeast, you really have to watch the sugar intake. Finally, I broke down and ordered a full size of what the Dr had been recommending...Thorne Research's Vegalite. They make it in a vanilla or chocolate powder. I of course ordered chocolate, we add it to Pure Almond Milk (original or vanilla).

I use a hand blender to mix it thoroughly and David loves it. He does a full serving (10 oz of fluid) and 1 scoop of the powder...he gets 23g of protein and only 1 g of sugar.

I also made an "executive decision" and went back to canned veggies with no salt instead of frozen. David loves veggies, but apparently only canned, because he wouldn't touch the frozen ones and we were wasting money.

I'm still concerned about the possible aluminum connection, but I am thoroughly rinsing all the veggies when they come out of the can and storing leftovers in an airtight container.

If his aluminum count goes up... we'll truly know the culprit.

David enjoys Ian's chicken nuggets 3-4 nights a week now, and waffle the rest... but ALWAYS with veggies. Tonight he decided that he wanted me to mix carrots, peas and green beans for him to enjoy. I was glad to do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment