Tuesday, January 11, 2011

David vs. Goliath (Autism)

I am simply the Mom of a boy who has been diagnosed with autism. I am on a journey, along with my husband, to recover our child to the best of our ability.  With the help of doctors that will help us treat him naturally to remove toxins and help his body heal through vitamins, supplements and lots of love.

It's now been 495 days since we learned our son David was developmentally delayed. Going into the well child appointment, I was excited to talk about his potential. David has known his ABC's, numbers 1-20, colors and shapes since 18 months. I'm thinking he's a GENIUS and I get the news that instead my son is developmentally delayed and I'm knocked for the biggest loop of my life.


In the months ahead I see my dreams and wishes for my child slowly go out of focus, like looking through a window on a very rainy day. I have no idea what to expect or how to handle the news I've been given. 


With David as our first child, we didn't really have anything to compare to for behaviors, he was too young for school, seemed to play alright at church and we didn't really see it until it was handed to us on a platter, this was not something we wanted to believe. The lack of eye contact around two years old or so, the rocking on the couch, lining up cars on the window sill and carefully watching the wheels as he rolled the car slowly back and forth. Realizing that playing with kids was not the same as playing around kids. David would "parallel play" but not engage with any of his peers. 


I was in mourning for his future, then "I" kicked in. I've always been the girl scout of my group of girlfriends, I guess I'm organized. More like organized chaos, but hey, organized nonetheless. I was reminded that God did not give me a spirit of timidity or fear. I decided I'm going to educate myself and tackle this thing head on. I started to read on-line and was lead to a book called "Healing and Preventing Autism" by Jenny McCarthy & Jerry Kartzinel M.D. For me, it was a good place to start, a new book, with one place for me to start learning about what was happening in my son's world. 
I do not believe David was born with autism. I mean, look at this face, no lack of emotional connection or loss of eye contact here. I have a feeling that immunizations and our environment have triggered a response in his body that was genetically predisposed to neurological disorders. See, family history plays a part in all of this. I learned that my mothers bipolar disorder and alcoholism plus my Dad's diabetes played a role in my kids genetic deck of cards. Our families come from a pile of poor methylators- we can't detoxify our own bodies! If we can't get rid of the fillers and stabilizers that are in the shots we are given and they get into our blood and then our brain, there goes the eye contact and social/emotional skills needed to develop properly. 


By environment, I mean the paint I used to paint the nursery and scents/colors in soaps and additives in foods that we have given, it's not all "them", we played a part in this too. Now we are going to undo it.
This blog will share our journey thus far, I will share research I've found and links to stuff that I've tried or found interesting. This is a place for me to show what I have found, it may not work for you and I'm not getting paid to share any of the info I've found either. I have lots of questions and asking them will make me the best advocate I can be for my child. I hope this is a place for encouragement. I know I don't know everything, I do know God gave us David for a reason and we are so blessed to be his parents and learn what he has to teach us.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Mel...I'm so proud of you for embarking on such a journey. You will be able to look back years from now and see how healing it will be for the family.

    ReplyDelete