Wednesday, January 12, 2011

And so it begins...September 2009-January 2010

I hit the ground running after I came out of my "fog" and this is a glimpse into that craziness. I have a purpose in this life to care for my family and be the best wife and mother I can be. By God’s grace, dang-nabit, that’s what I intend to do! 

I know we are all given gifts in this life to use to bless others, I (by nature) am a care-giver, always have been. My Mom encouraged me to become a nurse, she saw that in me. Especially when I took time off to go to her chemo treatments and bone marrow biopsies, I watched and I asked questions. I think my gift is for my family (at this point and time), I become to emotionally attached and would wipe myself out if I was a nurse to any other than my family.

On 9/4/2009 David was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD-NOS) it was suggested that I take him to the school district to be evaluated for developmental preschool.

On 10/2/2009 David and I had our evaluation at the school district. I sat in a classroom with many adults who were there to observe David's behaviors and try to engage him in any of a number of specific activities to determine cognitive abilities, motor skills and such. I then went to another room to complete a few questionnaires (BASC-2, GARS-II, ABAS-II etc.) about David's speech, motor skills and social/emotional placement that I notice as his parent. All this while David met with the speech therapist and occupational therapist to get further information on where he was developmentally.
     
     Findings from David's evaluation: Semi-cooperative. Paid little attention to visual stimuli in the room, went straight for book he was familiar with. Brief engagement with adults and toys offered, immediate return to chair w/ book. Tendency to echo verbal cues given, several times. Fixated on Bambi book, continued to quote lines from Bambi continuously through evaluation. Separated from mother easily to leave room with teacher and speech pathologist. Uses 1-2 word sentences (accurately produces p,b,t,f,g,d) though inconsistently...reduces consonant blends within his connected speech making it difficult to understand him. Communication skills significantly below age expectations. David was excited to see new toys in therapy room, was noted to pick up these toys and touch to area between top lip and nose. He did not appear to be smelling the toys. Easily distracted during formal testing. Eye contact minimal. David has difficulty expressing his emotions. He has difficulty empathizing and reciprocating emotions (will receive hugs from family, but not give them).

On 10/15/2009 it was determined that David qualified for the school's special services and he was enrolled in Developmental Preschool. We met and discussed his IEP (Individualized Education Plan) based on the observations of the speech pathologist, occupational therapist, teachers and psychologist. It was also recommended that we have David formally evaluated for autism.
 
On 10/26/2009 David started his first day of Developmental Preschool. David would attend for 2.5 hours a day 4 times a week. The bus would pick him up right outside our home! Momma tried not to cry as he left for school that day. It was all she could do to keep from following the bus like a crazy stalker lady to make sure he made it safely to school …3 minutes away.
David excitedly waiting for the bus on the first day of school.


12/2009- Yet another ear infection/head cold/sinus infection. David has had 6 previous to this, all starting around 1 year old. Amoxicillan doesn't really work anymore. We have to figure this out so we can get his body working properly. 
     ~I don't think putting tubes in the ear will solve the problem because it just treats the symptom and opens a sterile environment (ear) to the possibility of infection. Continuous infections like this are a major red flag to us, be in tune to your child, there may be an immune system issue.

1/18/2010-  First blood draw for allergy testing. I cannot tell you how important it is to call ahead and find someone who specializes in hard draws/children! When David was 18 months, he fell in his room and split his ear open on his bookshelf. He needed 6 stitches. He had to be pinned down by 4 nurses! Daddy was physically and emotionally spent after that visit (Mommy was at work and couldn't leave) Blood draws can be hard, and not just on the child but on the parent too (I suggest Passionflower Vine for anxiety). We are blessed enough to have someone at our local lab that worked at Children's Hospital for a number of years, she is the ONLY person we will have draw David, because it is an emotional and physical feat of huge proportion!


On 1/22/2010- David was formally diagnosed with Autism (Autism Spectrum Disorder) by a neurological psychologist. David's school was updated on his diagnosis. The spectrum is so large (Goliath) that the number of children (mostly boys) went from 1:10,000 (in 1983) to 1:150 (in 2008). Interestingly enough, autism increased when the number of vaccines increased. Our environment's (in our home and in our world) become more polluted too, it really all plays a part, it's not just one thing. 
      
     Findings from David's formal evaluation: engaged in WPPS-III Block Design subtest, unable to imitate designs presented. Even with 2-3 block designs and repeated demonstrations, unable to copy designs. David would initiate his own play stacking blocks and watching them fall. Unable to maintain focus on tasks, David commented, "Now for toys." Marked impairment in nonverbal communication such as eye contact or facial expressions. He does not seek out opportunities to share accomplishments with peers by bringing/showing something he has done/made. He doesn't point out objects of interest to him. 

The family dimples...



3 comments:

  1. I love you, Mel...you are doing a very brave thing here, putting yourself and your story out there. I am EXTREMELY proud of you and love reading every word...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Vikki...and also, I think your Mom would be very proud of you too.
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these breakfast cookies. As with all of Mel's recipe successes,you can't tell they are GFCF. But I am not hearing any music here. mom

    ReplyDelete